Wednesday 20 June 2012

THAT year

You know that year that every self-respecting 20 year old is supposed to have?
The one where they go off to an exotic land, usually India, and alter their sense of self forever?

JA.
HOWZIT.





I am finally having that year. England and Italy might not be as exotic as India, but if you know me, you know that I get excited at the mere sight of a different plug point, so really, this is MAD exotic.

In a way, because life is so much like a series of ever-incoming waves, many of my epiphanies have been building over the years, starting with my detachment from the Church towards the end of first year, growing with my explorations in the world of drama and education, and deepened through conversations with friends, Internet research, even my undergrad research projects, I feel like everything I have done has added a piece to the puzzle that is my life, and this year is somehow like the glue that is cementing a lot of earlier discoveries. If you managed to get through all those mixed metaphors, kudos to you. You deserve your degree.

I am currently writing this from a hotel room in San Remo (Italy), which I am sharing with a Pakistani/London girl who is studying Law. The two of us plus 138 other young people are currently attending an Orientation Week to prepare us for being English Tutors at English Language camps all over Italy. Excitement is HIGH!




No comments:

Post a Comment